[Cialug] git in structured environment

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:02:24 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Lathrop Preston <lathrop at prestonfam.org> wrote:
>>> I love internet communication.  :)  It seems to me that you have a
>
> Remember to be careful of tone. Some of the comments sound a bit
> hostile and it's probably not necessary.

Quite the opposite of hostility.  (I find it interesting how things
can get so misinterpreted with words alone when the legal world relies
on them.)  I'd be happy to explain every facet of git that I
understand, especially to someone who's never used a DVCS, because
it's such a shift in thought process that it changes your perspective
on VCS.  So, Lathrop, don't bow out unless you really want to and I
apologize if my comments were misinterpreted.

> DVCS is heaven for oss projects. I'm not sure if the benefits hold up
> for non-distributed teams.

I find git's ability to do versioning to be far superior to CVS and
SVN (with preference to SVN of the two).  It's ability to do rare,
routine, and mundane tasks with ease is why I desire to find a
solution to the posed problem.

Perhaps a new software package based on git is warranted instead of
using pure git?

Colin