[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Colin Burnett cmlburnett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 08:57:25 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:43 AM, James Shoemaker <james at dhlake.com> wrote:
> Colin Burnett wrote:
>>
>> However, the distro is 99% irrelevant to learning "linux" or programming.
>
>  With the configuration differences between distros I am not sure I would go
> 99%.  I personally use debian and at work we have several suse boxes and are
> constantly frustating me as to where they keep this or that config file,
> there are times I have had to use grep -r just to find the config option I
> want to change.  The ubuntu box is fine as it's closely related to my
> "normal" system.
>
> James

Your frustrations are due because you're a debian user "stuck" in
suse-land.  If you were a suse user then it wouldn't bother you,
right?

My point was more about one distro not being advantageous over another
distro to learn linux or programming.  It's not like gentoo has python
and suse doesn't.  It's not like ubuntu has a bash shell and slackware
doesn't.

Colin