[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 08:51:32 CDT 2008

Speaking from personal experience:
Gentoo is great to learn more about Linux, as the install process is
very hands on, and takes a long time, forcing you to go slow and read
the documentation. It is pretty easy to make a mistake and either
compile too much, or compile something un-needed and waste a few days. I
found that re-visiting Gentoo after becoming proficient with Linux
helped me learn a lot and apply a lot -- and the install process was
much easier after a few years of experience.

Debian family/Ubuntu family is where I first got started due to a
professor from UNI being a huge Debian advocate/user. Given that he is
one of the most vocal people in the Cedarlug, and was always willing to
give advice and help, and the fact that many many of the local Linux
users were impacted, or introduced to Linux thru Debian, by him the
entire lug up here is *very* Debian heavy. This made assistance while
learning very easy for Debian. I still have a fondness for
Debian/Ubuntu, and use it on my laptop.

Redhat/Fedora is something that I have now supported for years in a full
time, professional capacity, and as such, has bleed into my personal
life. If you plan on trying to roll your Linux experience into a job or
career, I would say that hands-down this is the one to learn.

To wrap up this email, Linux is a very varied creature, and what you use
and learn is very representative of the environment. Various distros
have their places, there good qualities and bad qualities, and as a
whole each distro teaches and emphasis es different facets of what Linux
is. To really learn Linux, I think that you need to learn the big three
(Source based, RPM based, and deb based) and you really can't go wrong
picking a starting point.

Oh, and I would advise learning to administer from the command line and
not use the GUIs. The GUIs are great, but they abstract out and hide
many details and functions that are very important to defining Linux.

Jeff Chapin