[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

Dave Crouse crouse at usalug.net
Mon Jul 7 09:08:59 CDT 2008

Take away package management, and configuration files, most versions
of linux are amazingly similar.
Locations of files differ between distro's, but otherwise it's hard to
tell one from another then.
For someone new to Linux, I recommend

Ubuntu
Mandriva
Fedora

Probably in that order. After you play with those, you could try out
any of the hundreds of others available. Those 3 however seem to
install easiest, and have the largest user bases and points of
support.  Any of the three would offer you the ability to learn
programming.

There are tons of other distro's to choose from, many that I like
better than the big 3.  But you should crawl before you run ;)  GENTOO
is NOT a good place to start lol........ unless you want to run
screaming from Linux land.....

Just my opinion though :)

Dave Crouse
www.usalug.org