[Cialug] Which Distro is best?

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Mon Jul 7 08:43:29 CDT 2008

Colin Burnett wrote:
> There is no "best".  It would be prudent to try more than one so you
> can evaluate what's best *for you*.  For me that's gentoo after red
> hat, slackware, suse, linux from scratch, mandrake, and ubuntu (mostly
> in that order dating back a decade).  If you can't compare & contrast
> distros in your own words then keep trying.
>
> However, the distro is 99% irrelevant to learning "linux" or programming.

   With the configuration differences between distros I am not sure I
would go 99%.  I personally use debian and at work we have several suse
boxes and are constantly frustating me as to where they keep this or
that config file, there are times I have had to use grep -r just to find
the config option I want to change.  The ubuntu box is fine as it's
closely related to my "normal" system.

James