[Cialug] like asterisk, but with a microsoft logo

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 30 16:32:24 CST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 4:12 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> On 1/30/08, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> > Actually, its a pretty slick looking phone system. Its called Microsoft
> > Response Point. http://www.microsoft.com/responsepoint/
>
> I think that this is going to be a challenge for Cisco, especially in
> the small business market, if only because there are so many sheep out
> there that blindly buy whatever Microsoft is selling.
>
> However, I think that Cisco is going to keep the lead in the higher
> end markets, partly because they are already there, but most
> enterprises aren't going to risk one of their most important tools to
> a "1.0" product.The main problems that I can see with voice control like
> they show in the video:

I used some product a few years ago (around 2000) that I think had genie in
the name. It was a USB based phone and the software ran on the PC. It worked
nice and integrated with outlook. The company went belly up. Since then I
stay away from version 1.0 hardware.

This system uses a small server that has no gui, everything is done from a
PC on the same network. It apparently runs some type of Windows but it
doesn't run on a standard PC.

1) What if you have 10,000 employees and there's 10 "John Smith"s?

Its for small offices. Same market as SBS so likely targeting < 50 users and
most likely < 20 users.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode