[Cialug] like asterisk, but with a microsoft logo

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jan 30 16:12:18 CST 2008

On 1/30/08, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> Actually, its a pretty slick looking phone system. Its called Microsoft
> Response Point. http://www.microsoft.com/responsepoint/

I think that this is going to be a challenge for Cisco, especially in
the small business market, if only because there are so many sheep out
there that blindly buy whatever Microsoft is selling.

However, I think that Cisco is going to keep the lead in the higher
end markets, partly because they are already there, but most
enterprises aren't going to risk one of their most important tools to
a "1.0" product.

I personally don't like running things like phone systems on top of
Windows because of all the problems with security and wondering what
all of the extra services are that are running and which ones could be
shut down to save cpu/memory.  Plus just think of all that memory that
you're wasting on a GUI.

I was sooo glad when I was able to upgrade our Cisco CallManager
servers to version 5 because CallManager 5 and up are based upon RHEL.
 Cisco keeps saying that in a future version of CallManager they'll
bring back the ability to run CM on a Windows server but it hasn't
happened yet.

> The videos make it look pretty simple, though I'm not sure I'd like to have
> everything voice controlled. The really impressive feature is the first
> video where he sets up the phone.

The main problems that I can see with voice control like they show in the video:

1) What if you have 10,000 employees and there's 10 "John Smith"s?

2) What if you are in a noisy environment (car, server room, outside
on a windy day) or have a poor connection (cell phone)?

Jeff