[Cialug] Window manager for servers

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 22 15:59:08 CST 2008

Recently I started an internal discussion at work about SSH
connections that can survive when your laptop is suspended and
resumed, possibly on a new network. Of course the discussion drifted
towards `screen` a console based window manager that has this
capability.

I've often found screen to be limited and interfered with the way I
worked, but apparently it is very flexible. Recently work has been
done to create a set of installable (and for the next Ubuntu Server
version, built in) screen configuration profiles. Some quite
sophisticated, providing a console based window manager.

See some details at
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2008/12/ubuntu-server-includes-window-manager.html

A few things that interest me about this are that it helps you keep
track of what server you're on, it even shows an icon for the distro
(debian, ubuntu and fedora supported) and version number, a list of
colored tabs at the bottom for open sessions and even some system
information.

I do a lot of work using SSH and I know many of you do too so thought
you might find this interesting and useful. Looks like a work in
progress.

--
Matthew Nuzum