[Cialug] Window manager for servers

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Tue Dec 23 15:03:28 CST 2008

Looks interesting, I may have to see about using the "tabs" function
they've added. You can get that info by hitting

ctrl-a "

... to show all of the screens inside your session.

I pretty much always use screen when I'm going to do anything more
complicated than a few 1-liners in an ssh session. I usually have a
bunch of things like an IM, email client etc. running in screen. Also
handy if you were going to download a completely legal file via
bittorrent (that doesn't involve singing and dancing high-school
students) using the bt curses client. ;)

I've also set up init scripts on some servers to run things in a screen
session, so I can connect to them later - i.e. a folding at home session,
or running a dedicated game server you need to get on the console
sometimes to run commands.

It does seem like black magic, until you get the hang of it.. once you
get used to using screen all of the time, you feel naked being at a
console without it.

-dc