[Cialug] Fwd: Firefox flash plugin vulnerability

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sat Dec 20 12:51:02 CST 2008

In case you haven't heard, there is a serious flash vulnerability so
you should be upgrading. However I was talking to some people at work
about the difficulty in applying the fix due to the varied number of
ways to install (and therefore locations and file permissions of the
plugin). The firefox maintainer suggested this configuration for those
who use Ubuntu. Basically it's a way to use the free gnash/gpl plugin
and effortlessly switch to the adobe version on sites that don't work
with gnash. Doing this allows you to better test and use the free
software plugin. Quite clever, though I've no clue if this works on
non-ubuntu distros since aiui it's a feature of the ubufox plugin (and
for various reasons I only use Ubuntu).

By the way, go to about:plugins or
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ to see what version of
flash you have installed. Go to