[Cialug] What should I be asking?

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Thu Sep 27 08:35:30 CDT 2007

You'll get a lot out of ESX with local storage but where it shines is when you get shared storage.  I'd highly recommend you try it at least, to get a handle on Vmotion, DRS, and HA functions.  This can be easily accomplished (for testing purposes) with another computer with lots of storage.  Just load up your distro of choice, and create some NFS (or iSCSI) mounts.  These can be added quickly to ESX.

Just a quick way for you to demo the strengths and maybe get people thinking about how to plan for shared storage.