[Cialug] Opensource Network Monitors

John Lengeling John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Thu Sep 20 16:39:08 CDT 2007

I have been running Nagios for 5+ years and BigBrother many years before
that.   Nagios is pretty good, but not easy to use.  On the other hand
most Network monitors are not easy to use or configure.

Wish it had an integrated GUI config tool for everything.  On the plus
side, it can monitor just about anything via SNMP, NRPE, or NSCA.  As
with all network monitoring, you need to be able to write scripts
(Perl/SH/etc) and know how SNMP works in order to create/modify the
plugins to monitor your devices.

I am monitoring 72 hosts and 137 services.  Monitoring hosts in Des
Moines/China/India/Florida/Oregon, disk space, temperature, NetApps,
Windows, Linux, Solaris, RAID arrays, UPS, 48V power supplies, WAN
connections, routers.

johnl