[Cialug] Opensource Network Monitors

Jerry Heiselman jweida at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:24:31 CDT 2007

On 9/20/07, lister at kulish.com <lister at kulish.com> wrote:

> Looking for some input on network monitors.  So far I think Ive narrowed
> it down to 3.  We're looking to monitor mainly service availability but
> performance monitoring is a bonus.
>
> Nagios
> Zabbix
> Zenoss
>
> First, anyone actively using any of these?  pros and cons?
> Second, is there one I missed?  I am open to suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
> CK

I've been looking at Zabbix.  The others just seem too limiting to smaller
environments (being SNMP/Polling based).  Zabbix appears to be almost to the
level of competeing with the likes of OpenView and Tivoli, but still
maintaining the ease of use if all you want is SNMP polling.  Hopefully,
I'll get the chance to review it in more detail in the coming months.

--
Jerry H
jweida [-at-] gmail [-dot-] com