[Cialug] Opensource Network Monitors

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Sep 20 15:11:01 CDT 2007

I've been reviewing Nagios, Zenoss, Mon/Mon.cgi/Smokeping, and IBM
Director.  I'm not exactly thrilled with any of them.  I had considered
talking on this topic at Bar Camp this Saturday, but I'm concluding that
none of these are a really good path to success.

I propose that we get together and hash this issue out on Saturday and
at least raise some issues that folks have run into.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> <lister at kulish.com> 09/20/07 1:54 PM >>>

Looking for some input on network monitors.  So far I think Ive
narrowed
it down to 3.  We're looking to monitor mainly service availability
but
performance monitoring is a bonus.

Nagios
Zabbix
Zenoss

First, anyone actively using any of these?  pros and cons?
Second, is there one I missed?  I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
CK