[Cialug] wifi usb suggestions?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Sep 19 21:16:08 CDT 2007

On 9/19/07, dave <dchampion at visionary.com> wrote:
> I got the Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54 working under Mandriva 2007.1. The trick
> was... it has a built-in flash drive in it with the Windows drivers on
> it, so when you plug it in to a Windows box, it will auto-run the driver
> install. Pretty slick. But under Linux, that messes it up. I'm guessing
> Windows turns the flash drive off after the driver loads.

I've always wondered when they were going to get around to doing
that... I wonder why they have a switch (physical or firmware)
though... I've seen firmware for USB microprocessors that make them
into a composite device, basically two or more USB peripherals at once
in the same device, so it should be possible to enable the flash drive
and the wifi at the same time.

Maybe its to prevent Windows from trying to auto-detect the wifi card
before the driver is installed properly.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode