[Cialug] wifi usb suggestions?

dave dchampion at visionary.com
Wed Sep 19 20:11:01 CDT 2007

I got the Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54 working under Mandriva 2007.1. The trick
was... it has a built-in flash drive in it with the Windows drivers on
it, so when you plug it in to a Windows box, it will auto-run the driver
install. Pretty slick. But under Linux, that messes it up. I'm guessing
Windows turns the flash drive off after the driver loads.

There's a little switch - similar to how some USB flash drives have a
read-only switch, that turns off the flash drive part. Once I flipped
that, linux saw it as an ralink wifi device and it worked.

It seems to work fine for the couple of minutes I tested it while
sitting here at the LUG meeting. I'll test it more later.

One funny thing - it shows up as a USB keyboard in dmesg. We also
plugged it into Barry's Macbook and it also thought it was a keyboard.