[Cialug] external storage

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Wed Oct 17 17:28:42 CDT 2007

Given your budget, I recommend building your own device and exporting
the data via iSCSI.

I'd start with a case that supports 6 drive bays.  The plan would go as
follows:

Initial - Case w/ 6 slots
             BIG power supply (it's going to matter)
             small CPU, Celeron would be fine for this
             three 1T drives
             Use evms RAID5 to have a 2T functional storage server
             Use ISCSI to export the data to whoever may need it.

Expansion

Just add a drive and join it to the evms pool.  If you need stability,
add it as a spare.  If you need expansion, add it as a new drive.  You
can then extend until you run out of slots (5T using 1T drives).  Once
you do run out of slots, you can "fail" an old drive, remove it, add in
a bigger one to the evms pool, let it stabilize, and fail another old
drive etc etc etc.  That should give you a system that extends as long
as your hardware is supported by Linux and the marketplace.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Dave J. Hala Jr." <dave at 58ghz.net> 10/17/07 3:06 PM >>>
At the moment I'm looking at Raid 1 (mirrored). I'm thinking probably
4
bays with 1gb drives.  As far as expanding goes, If I could get one
device with 2tb mirrored, I could easily add a like second device in 6
months.

I'd like to try and come in around $1200.00  That's gonna be really
tough with $300 1tb drives.

If I have to "build" my own device, I think I'd start with one device
and a second 2tb later as drive prices drop.

:) Dave

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 14:47 -0500, Josh More wrote:
> What are your requirements for resiliancy, budget, and
expandability?