[Cialug] external storage

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Oct 17 15:29:53 CDT 2007

I've been using this storage system called "/dev/nul"  Dave Weis set me up
with it.  He is a swell guy.

What is the budget like and how do you weigh it against reliability?  Are
you just backing up your local Blockbuster store?

I have had good luck with the Buffalo brand external drives.  They have some
that can act as local storage mad as NAS.

I recently built a machine used for off-site backups that came in around $7K
with about 7 GB RAID 5 (3ware) using 750 GB drives.  If I was looking to do
what you need I might try it again with fewer drives or software RAID (to
save money) and use iSCSI to attach it.  Especially if I knew I had to
expand the capacity it in the future.

On the other hand-  you could put Linux on a Linksys SLUG use external
drives with software mirror and create something really cheaply.

-Nate