[Cialug] XP Linux or Ubuntu

Mark Hesseltine markhesseltine at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:38:35 CDT 2007

On 10/12/07, Keith Carpenter <wd0fia at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I still have the need to run Precision Mapping, which is a Windows based
> program.  Currently I am running a dual boot system with Ubuntu and XP Home.
> I really would like to just run Linux.  Which would be best, Ubuntu running
> WINE, or XP Linux?
>
> Also, where is the best price for "registering" XP Linux?  I've heard claims
> of $19, but have found nothing less than $39.  If I knew for sure it would
> work $39 is not a problem.
>
> Keith

>From what I can see from the XP-Linux website, they're just running
Wine to enable use of your Windows applications. I fail to see why
you'd pay for something specialized like this when they're not really
doing anything other than put an "XP" theme on a Gnome/Fedora desktop.

I'd say install Wine on Ubuntu and try your application. If it doesn't
work right, I'd be skeptical that XP-Linux will do any better. I'd
probably consider buying something like Crossover from Codeweavers
where at least I know the money is going toward the improvement of
Wine.
--
Mark Hesseltine
mailto:markhesseltine at gmail.com