[Cialug] Mandriva - open letter to Steve Ballmer

Chris Freeman cwfreeman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 11:36:47 CST 2007

On 11/4/07, Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:Dan Sloan wrote:

> Personally, I hope Mandriva takes the opportunity to incorporate the
> Nigeria experience into their sales strategy.  Imagine being able to
> approach 150 governments around the world, tell them that they can order
> Mandriva for their schools, and Microsoft will not only pay them back,
> but will give them excellent terms on replacing those computers with
> Windows, plus whatever "kickback" they choose.  Sounds like a winning
> marketing strategy to me.  Of course, it might not be the best business
> model for Microsoft, but a well-deserved one, if you ask me.  :)
> Tom

Except that Microsoft wins that way. They're banking on the continued
business provided by these deals, which they've almost certainly guaranteed
by a contract.

And Mandriva loses by not having that contract. More than just not having
the contract, they're screwed out of any possibility of getting a contract
for a long time.

My guess is that Mandriva believes that Microsoft lied or bribed in order to
get the contract. Which is illegal in the US and probably in Nigeria, too.

Chris