[Cialug] Mandriva - open letter to Steve Ballmer

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sun Nov 4 11:47:12 CST 2007

Chris Freeman wrote:
> On 11/4/07, *Tom Poe* <tompoe at fngi.net <mailto:tompoe at fngi.net>>
> wrote:Dan Sloan wrote:
>
>     >
>     Personally, I hope Mandriva takes the opportunity to incorporate the
>     Nigeria experience into their sales strategy.  Imagine being able to
>     approach 150 governments around the world, tell them that they can
>     order
>     Mandriva for their schools, and Microsoft will not only pay them back,
>     but will give them excellent terms on replacing those computers with
>     Windows, plus whatever "kickback" they choose.  Sounds like a winning
>     marketing strategy to me.  Of course, it might not be the best
>     business
>     model for Microsoft, but a well-deserved one, if you ask me.  :)
>     Tom
>

> Except that Microsoft wins that way. They're banking on the continued
> business provided by these deals, which they've almost certainly
> guaranteed by a contract.
>
> And Mandriva loses by not having that contract. More than just not
> having the contract, they're screwed out of any possibility of getting
> a contract for a long time.
>
> My guess is that Mandriva believes that Microsoft lied or bribed in
> order to get the contract. Which is illegal in the US and probably in
> Nigeria, too.
>
> Chris

True.  So, suppose you own a business, and you're ready to upgrade IT.
Why not invite Microsoft over to discuss the Nigerian business model?
Legal?  I can certainly see any business that represents a significant
contract for Linux or Microsoft laching onto this new business model,
and bringing IT costs down considerably.  It will be up to Microsoft to
convince others they didn't pay Nigeria to replace Mandriva.  In fact,
if I'm Red Hat, I'm going to make sure any and all clients, present or
future, understand what Microsoft is willing to do to get their
business.  Otherwise, they go with Red Hat.  Either way works for them.
It's just business, you know?
Tom