[Cialug] Evolution setup: want just calendar

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Mar 30 16:27:10 CDT 2007

There are also web-based calendars.  If you're running a server, webcal
is one option.
It may have similar drawbacks to Google's calendar, but being able to
access a calendar from wherever is quite nice.

One big question is whether or not you need to sync to a PDA.  If
that's the case, then your only real options are Evolution and Kontact.
(And I've had troubles syncing with Kontact).

So far as the Evolution bit goes, you could create a gmail account, set
Evolution up to access it, and configure it to never auto-check.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Rachel Garrett" <rmgarrett at gmail.com> 03/30/07 4:19 PM >>>
I have to say that Ubuntu is by far the easiest installation I've had,
and it makes installing new bits of software very easy.

I'm trying to find something with a calendar function (I didn't get
far with Google's...too much clicking involved every time I wanted to
add something). I've heard that Evolution has a calendar, but it won't
let itself be used until after it's been set up for e- mail. Are there
any really simple calendars out there that can be recommended?

Thanks,
Rachel