[Cialug] Evolution setup: want just calendar

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Fri Mar 30 16:29:02 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 16:19 -0500, Rachel Garrett wrote:
> I'm trying to find something with a calendar function (I didn't get
> far with Google's...too much clicking involved every time I wanted to
> add something). I've heard that Evolution has a calendar, but it won't
> let itself be used until after it's been set up for e-mail. Are there
> any really simple calendars out there that can be recommended?

You can simply use Evolution to manage your calendar, but you don't need
Evolution to use your calendar.

Once you add events in Evolution, they are accessible through the clock
applet. Just click the time/date and you'll see your calendar events and
other todo items. Also, your reminders will pop-up even if Evolution is
closed.

You can also subscribe to other calendars in Evolution (like Google
calendars or icals) and they will show up in your desktop calendar.

I spent a lot of time around Christmas working on a way to tie into EDS
(the backend for that) so that you can add appointments outside of
Evolution, but its insanely difficult to hack Evolution and EDS.
However, if you have a google calendar and you subscribe to it in
Evolution, its quite easy to write little programs that add events to
your Google calendar which then show up on your desktop.

Sorry, I realize I took that in a slightly different direction than you
asked for... Maybe you can find an answer to your question in there
somehwere.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode