[Cialug] Also relevant to the next meeting

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Mar 16 16:25:56 CDT 2007

 I only received one, but due to the way the list works, you sometimes
send two messages if you do a "reply to all" on a previous message.

I'm OK with Hessen Haus, but bear in mind that the weather is starting
to improve, so Raccoon River is also an option.  It's smoke-free now
which I like (but others may not).

The problem with the name to face matching is that, unlike an
associative array, it needs to be bidirectional.  This means that while
I can maintain a list of whose names match to which faces, the owners of
those faces have to maintain the list of which faces map to which names.
 It makes the lookups quite difficult at times, especially if one record
is updated but the reverse is not.  What's worse, there's nothing built
into the system, so you often detect failed reverses when you suddenly
stop getting email from them.  Even worse than that is when your face
matching cache gets poisoned and you wind up calling people by the wrong
name and not realizing it.  Then there is the occasional DDOS when you
can't remember anyone's name, and due to the attack, you can't even ask
your peers to help you out...

Upon reflection, I might be thinking about DNS instead.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

On 3/16/07, Bryan Baker <ka_klick at mac.com> wrote:
> You don't get 2 votes just by repeating the same email twice ;- )
> Usually someone with a strong will and the guts to lead will steer
us
> all in a direction.

Did I repeat it twice?  If so I apologize --  I certainly did not
intend to!  But I didn't get two copies, and I don't see two in the
archives: http://www.cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2007-
March/thread.html

So now I'm very curious what happened with that, and if everyone else
got two copies, or somehow just you.  Any ideas, folks?

> Hessen Haus is a pretty safe bet many months, but it rotates around
> several good downtown spots.

Honestly, if there's beer and geek discussion I'm sure I'll be happy
as a clam wherever we end up.  I just thought if everyone else was
indifferent, I might as well try and steer us to the HH.

I particularly enjoyed the napkin drawings of the christmas light
system last time, for anyone who was sitting close enough to be privy
to that.  Designing circuitry on napkins is a glorious and
time- honored tradition.

> Depending on my food status and whether I remember to throw my
guitar
> in the car that night, I may end up going to Smokey's BBQ (SW9th,
> just north of the HS.) after the meeting, since they have a good
open
> mic going there these days, though the Hessen Haus is awful
> tempting.... I've never actually eaten anything there (Smokeys) and
> unfortunately the place does live up to it's name -  I had to shower
> after I got home wednesday night, before I could go to bed, and I
> think my hat still reeks.

Interesting.  I really need to learn people's names so I can remember
which one you were.  ;- )  I'm just terrible at mapping names <-- >
faces.

Some LUGs print up little nametag badges, even including the logos of
each person's distro[s] of choice.  I could see this being useful and
I could also see this being just kinda lame.  ("lame" being a
decidedly relative term when applied to anything at a Linux User Group
meeting...)  Anyone have strong feelings either way?

Here's an example of a LUG badge generator:
http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi- bin/wiki.pl?BadgeGenerator

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer