[Cialug] Also relevant to the next meeting

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:08:03 CDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Bryan Baker <ka_klick at mac.com> wrote:
> You don't get 2 votes just by repeating the same email twice ;-)
> Usually someone with a strong will and the guts to lead will steer us
> all in a direction.

Did I repeat it twice?  If so I apologize -- I certainly did not
intend to!  But I didn't get two copies, and I don't see two in the
archives: http://www.cialug.org/pipermail/cialug/2007-March/thread.html

So now I'm very curious what happened with that, and if everyone else
got two copies, or somehow just you.  Any ideas, folks?

> Hessen Haus is a pretty safe bet many months, but it rotates around
> several good downtown spots.

Honestly, if there's beer and geek discussion I'm sure I'll be happy
as a clam wherever we end up.  I just thought if everyone else was
indifferent, I might as well try and steer us to the HH.

I particularly enjoyed the napkin drawings of the christmas light
system last time, for anyone who was sitting close enough to be privy
to that.  Designing circuitry on napkins is a glorious and
time-honored tradition.

> Depending on my food status and whether I remember to throw my guitar
> in the car that night, I may end up going to Smokey's BBQ (SW9th,
> just north of the HS.) after the meeting, since they have a good open
> mic going there these days, though the Hessen Haus is awful
> tempting.... I've never actually eaten anything there (Smokeys) and
> unfortunately the place does live up to it's name - I had to shower
> after I got home wednesday night, before I could go to bed, and I
> think my hat still reeks.

Interesting.  I really need to learn people's names so I can remember
which one you were.  ;-)  I'm just terrible at mapping names <-->
faces.

Some LUGs print up little nametag badges, even including the logos of
each person's distro[s] of choice.  I could see this being useful and
I could also see this being just kinda lame.  ("lame" being a
decidedly relative term when applied to anything at a Linux User Group
meeting...)  Anyone have strong feelings either way?

Here's an example of a LUG badge generator:
http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BadgeGenerator

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer