[Cialug] Also relevant to the next meeting

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:55:12 CDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
>  I only received one, but due to the way the list works, you sometimes
> send two messages if you do a "reply to all" on a previous message.

The only address in my To: field on the original mail was
cialug at cialug.org.  That's why I'm so baffled.

> I'm OK with Hessen Haus, but bear in mind that the weather is starting
> to improve, so Raccoon River is also an option.  It's smoke-free now
> which I like (but others may not).

I also favor smoke-free venues, but I have no idea what the LUG
consensus on that would be.

> The problem with the name to face matching is that, unlike an
> associative array, it needs to be bidirectional.  This means that while
> I can maintain a list of whose names match to which faces, the owners of
> those faces have to maintain the list of which faces map to which names.
>  It makes the lookups quite difficult at times, especially if one record
> is updated but the reverse is not.  What's worse, there's nothing built
> into the system, so you often detect failed reverses when you suddenly
> stop getting email from them.  Even worse than that is when your face
> matching cache gets poisoned and you wind up calling people by the wrong
> name and not realizing it.  Then there is the occasional DDOS when you
> can't remember anyone's name, and due to the attack, you can't even ask
> your peers to help you out...
>
> Upon reflection, I might be thinking about DNS instead.

Beautiful.  Gonna clip that for my quotes file.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer