[Cialug] Resetting screen resolution in SuSE 10.2

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Fri Mar 9 09:35:24 CST 2007

Technically, the "right" way to do this is:

1) Reboot, go into the grub menu.
2) Append a "3" to the boot line, hit [enter]
3) Hit 'b' to boot.  This will reboot the system into text mode.
4) As root, run "SaX2 -r"  This will wipe the earlier misconfig, and
allow you to reuse the X config utilities.  If the X config utility
won't run/locks up, try "SaX2 -l" or "SaX2 -lr".

See, unlike other distros, SUSE stores a lot of information in
/etc/sysconfig, and the yast-based tools use this to rebuild the base
config files.  This is good in that you have a single, standard way to
administering the box.  This is bad because if you make a manual change
via text editor, the next time you run yast or SaX2, it will be blown
away.

The LiveCD method will certainly work.  However, be sure to backup your
xorg.conf file if you go that route, so that when you accidentally blow
it away in six months, you have a recovery path.  (voice of experience
here).

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701
>>> "Rob Miller" <robarooney at gmail.com> 03/09/07 7:18 AM >>>
Newbie here.  I added a wide-screen monitor to my Dell running SuSE
10.2 and I set the screen resolution to 1680 x 1050.  I ignored a
warning and saved the setting and when I rebooted, the screen is black
with a message box saying "Out of Range".  Is there some way I can use
a "Live CD" and get to the resolution setting and change it to
something else?  Thanks.