[Cialug] Active Directory equivalent?

Donovan Skarin n3ophyt3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 13:21:46 CST 2007

I'm working on a project for my Associate's Degree, in which my group has
been given a hypothetical company with heavily outdated hardware, and a
crappy budget with which to improve the situation. In the interest of saving
lots of our budget from licensing costs, we are going with a Linux
environment. We pretty much know for a fact is that the people we present
this to are going to grill us on all kinds of things, because we will be the
first group to break away from a Microsoft environment. The main item that
we don't have a ready answer to is Active Directory. Are there any
equivalent features for an all-Linux network, and how do they compare with
AD?