[Cialug] OT: Tivo

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Tue Jun 26 10:23:52 CDT 2007

I would ask them to ensure you can put your hard drives into their unit.
The reason I say that is I read on the Tivo Community forums that the
recordings are married to a serial number in the unit.  That is, you won't
be able to watch your already recorded programs on another Tivo that you put
the drive(s) into.

Here's some other sites that might interest you as a Tivo owner:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb
The Tivo Community forums.  Lots of good info here, no extraction/stealing
service talk.  There are some Tivo personnel that visit the site.

http://www.9thtee.com/tivo-dt2.htm
Features InstantCake, a way to upgrade your DirecTivo to the latest Tivo
software.  DirecTV uses an older version of the software.  I've not
performed this upgrade myself, although I have considered it.  It would give
you (among other things) the ability to watch a show on one Tivo that was
recorded on another, through a network connection.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum
Another set of forums.  They'll talk about stuff Tivo Community won't (like
video extraction).

On 6/26/07, Tony Bibbs <tony at tonybibbs.com> wrote:

> Interesting site.  I see they offer the same model as my broken unit
> (Hughes HDVR2) minus the hard drives so tonight I'll try mounting the drives
> to ensure they work and, if so, I can buy just that and save a mint.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Tony

Tim