[Cialug] KUbuntu question

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Fri Jun 15 16:47:59 CDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> > On 6/15/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> > > I have a pressed DVD of Edgy, and a burned copy of Feisty.
> > For some reason,
> > > my laptop won't read the burned DVD (I've tried 2 burned
> > discs with no
> > > luck), but it will read the pressed DVD.  I have an
> > external DVD drive that
> > > can read the burned disc.  In order to install KUbuntu, I
> > could do one of 2
> > > things: 1. Install Edgy then upgrade later.  2. Boot Edgy,
> > but install
> > > Feisty off the external DVD drive.  It seems like I've
> > heard of problems
> > > with 1, so I'd like to do 2.  Anyone know how to do this?
> >
> > Why mess with DVDs?  Just download the CD image of Feisty and install
> > that.  Your laptop can boot burned CDs, right?  All packages you would
> > need you can just get via apt, with the front end of your choice.
> >

> I second this approach.  However, it is possible to upgrade from another
> installed version.  In a nutshell, you "simply" get everything up-to-date
> with Apt (try not to install extra packages).  And then change the
> apt-sources to the newer version you want to install and run apt
> again.  You
> should be able to find several references for this technique with
> Google.  I
> have also been able to "upgrade" from Debian to Ubuntu using this method
> as
> well.

This is actually where I've heard people having problems.  I've heard a
couple people say to install fresh if possible, don't upgrade.  I'm guessing
it was a YMMV type of thing.

BTW, is there an ISP or somebody with nearby mirrors for Debian or Ubuntu?

Sorry, don't know of any.  I thought ISU used to mirror some distros.  I
just used a mirror off kubuntu.org.  I found the mirror to be faster than
bittorrent.

-Nate

Tim