[Cialug] KUbuntu question

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri Jun 15 12:06:33 CDT 2007

> On 6/15/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> > I have a pressed DVD of Edgy, and a burned copy of Feisty.
> For some reason,
> > my laptop won't read the burned DVD (I've tried 2 burned
> discs with no
> > luck), but it will read the pressed DVD.  I have an
> external DVD drive that
> > can read the burned disc.  In order to install KUbuntu, I
> could do one of 2
> > things: 1. Install Edgy then upgrade later.  2. Boot Edgy,
> but install
> > Feisty off the external DVD drive.  It seems like I've
> heard of problems
> > with 1, so I'd like to do 2.  Anyone know how to do this?
>
> Why mess with DVDs?  Just download the CD image of Feisty and install
> that.  Your laptop can boot burned CDs, right?  All packages you would
> need you can just get via apt, with the front end of your choice.

I second this approach.  However, it is possible to upgrade from another
installed version.  In a nutshell, you "simply" get everything up-to-date
with Apt (try not to install extra packages).  And then change the
apt-sources to the newer version you want to install and run apt again.  You
should be able to find several references for this technique with Google.  I
have also been able to "upgrade" from Debian to Ubuntu using this method as
well.

BTW, is there an ISP or somebody with nearby mirrors for Debian or Ubuntu?

-Nate