[Cialug] New Firewall

David Bierce operations at cynicbytrade.com
Fri Jan 5 16:12:35 CST 2007

Ello --

While not linux based,  I've used http://m0n0.ch/wall/ on nice newer
hardware with no problems.  I'm certain smoothwall will happily adds
support for new hardware if you pay for the pro version :)

If you don't mind rolling your own web and scripts,  I help maintain
a distro for some of our customers that has quite a few firewall and
traffic shaping (using tc) scripts.  It also has some pretty flexible
scripts and gathering interface statistics and putting them into a
database.  http://zinux.cynicbytrade.com

While it isn't a Purdy interface, it does have some boot examples for
linux features I've learned to love like bonding and bridging.

> Broadcom provides linux modules for their chips, but I didn't see
> anything for xBSD thus making the linux based products more
> attractive, but not if they can't support my raid card :)
>
> -Tom

I've been using the Broadcom 5704 Dual Port Gigabit adapter since
FreeBSD 6 on machines with a sustained network throughput of about
40MBit/sec with no problems, but I'm not sure about the NetXtreme.
Lately, I've been having lots of Intel network troubles of FreeBSD
under high load network load, but broadcom has been performing rock
solid.

Dave