[Cialug] X to X

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed Feb 28 23:49:00 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 23:14 -0600, Tim Wilson wrote:
> On my laptop, I'm running Suse Linux with KDE as my desktop.  I want
> to open up X-Windows to another Linux box.  On Windows, I can run
> XOrg's X server with an XDMCP query, and it will come up.  Is there a
> way for me to do that on Linux?

Well, if I want to do a full login session on another host, I either
configure it in gdm or use Terminal Server Client.

However, I often prefer just to run individual applications. I do:
ssh -CX user at host progname

for example:
ssh -CX matt at newz synaptic

If you have your ssh keys set up right, you can even create icons on
your desktop for remote applications.

Except for the GDM part, I don't expect any of that to differ between
KDE/Gnome.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode