[Cialug] X to X

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Feb 28 23:55:40 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 23:14 -0600, Tim Wilson wrote:
> On my laptop, I'm running Suse Linux with KDE as my desktop.  I want
> to open up X-Windows to another Linux box.  On Windows, I can run
> XOrg's X server with an XDMCP query, and it will come up.  Is there a
> way for me to do that on Linux?
>
> I've tried running vncviewer, but it isn't responsive enough (the
> cursor doesn't always change on a window frame).
>
> I've even tried launching individual apps back, but I keep getting an
> error that it can't open the display, and that was after doing 'xhost
> +' and making sure I don't have a firewall running.

Never, never, never, type "xhost +".  It's a MAJOR security hole.
Someone could capture all of your keystrokes without you ever knowing.

In either /etc/ssh/ssh_config or ~/.ssh/config add some lines (or
uncomment) like this:

Host *
        ForwardX11 yes
        ForwardX11Trusted yes

Then, when you SSH from one system to another SSH will take care of
setting up xauth and the DISPLAY environment variable to securely
forward the X protocol across the SSH connection.  This will work pretty
well over a fast LAN connection, but will be pretty slow across the
Internet.

Jeff