[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

David Bierce operations at cynicbytrade.com
Mon Dec 17 13:23:07 CST 2007

Wrote this before lunch and forget to hit send.

In terms of appliances, I think Packeteer and Sandvine have appliances
that shape very well in the way you are describing.  Pulling the HOST
out of the HTTP and throttling back *.facebook.com regardless of IP
address.  However, shaping by IP address is a lot of work for HTTPS
and is a lot more problematic.  Currently, most rich media websites
don't use HTTPS for serving up their heavy files.  Additionally,
throttling by IP for media rich websites can be an issue because an IP
fro Akami or Cachefly may service Facebook.com, Yahoo.com,
MySpace.com, Revision3.com, and FAFSA.gov leading to some unexpected
throttling, which isn't that big of a deal unless you're blocking.