[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Dec 17 13:50:32 CST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> The problems with this approach:
>
> 1) It's not all HTTP traffic, some of it is encrypted, some of it is
> non HTTP protocols.

Hence the DNS non-application-specific approach I suggested later. But
you were talking about filtering by web sites, and that's a smaller
data set than "all traffic", and therefore a shorter, easier-to-
maintain list; I was trying to match the priorities you expressed.

> 2) Not all HTTP traffic is on port 80.

Port-based traffic identification is for script-kiddie security
consultants. Real men use protocol analyzers.

If you're doing enough work to read HTTP headers you can find HTTP
traffic in any stream.

> 3) It's not always easy to tell from the Host header what "site" the
> traffic belongs to.

Not always, but in many circumstances the two most significant domains
in the hostname are useful, particularly for the types of sites you
noted. And this is a reactive system, so you don't have to guess at
every possible domain name -- it can tell you if there is a
significant amount of traffic to unmatched domains, and you can slap
the top 5 into a browser and see what they are.

> This isn't really about technical know how - I know how all of this is
> done, I've done it in the past and I could do it now - I just don't
> have the time to do implement and manage this myself.  I want to pay
> someone to do it for me.

I'm not trying to shove this down your throat; I started my message by
noting that this solution may not be the one for you. But it was not
clear that you knew the IP list creation process could be simplified
at all, and I was simply try to suggest that this could be largely
automated without any terribly advanced techniques. Moreover, paying
someone else to do this is not exclusive of the solutions I suggested;
you could hire someone to implement them for you, and even to maintain
the domain lists (if only there were someplace to find network-savvy
programmers willing to take contract work).

--

But if you want something pre-fab, I'd recommend you just get a web
filter and subscribe to their category/site list; a good number of web

	Zach