[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon Dec 3 15:54:52 CST 2007

Todd, I think we need clarification on the following paragraph:
<quote>
Funky Thing
When I disconnect the IDE cable to the optical drive, but leave power
plugged in, it'll turn on.  I can eject it and it winks its LED at me.
 So they must build drives to take input from the motherboard on
whether it's okay to power up or not.
</quote>

When I read that paragraph, I read it as the machine booted up if you
disconnected the IDE cable from the optical drive (that is the case in my
scenario).  However, after re-reading it (and seeing a lot of people
thinking it's memory related), you could have meant that the drive powered
on, but the machine still didn't boot.  If the former is the case, then I
don't think it is memory related.  If the latter is the case, then yeah, it
probably is memory.

--
Tim