[Cialug] New Computer Hardware Issue

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:12:01 CST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 3:54 PM, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wroteP:
> When I read that paragraph, I read it as the machine booted up if you
> disconnected the IDE cable from the optical drive (that is the case in my
> scenario).  However, after re-reading it (and seeing a lot of people
> thinking it's memory related), you could have meant that the drive powered
> on, but the machine still didn't boot.  If the former is the case, then I
> don't think it is memory related.  If the latter is the case, then yeah, it
> probably is memory.

Yeah, so I disconnected everything, including power to the
motherboard.  It didn't boot.  Surprised?  I then started hooking up
things one by one.  I put the power cord in the motherboard first.  It
turned on but didn't boot.  At no time, with no amount of hooking up
in any configuration, did it boot even to BIOS.

I will try now using only one stick of the memory instead of both, in
case it's the memory.  I have a BIOSTAR 945P-A7A that takes DDR2 667
memory.  I bought 2 512MB sticks of DDR2 667 Crucial memory.  Both
came from Newegg.

-todd