[Cialug] ssh file transfer

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:52:49 CST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 11:12 AM, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> If you're using putty, you need to use pscp to transfer files.  It works
> pretty much like scp.  However, to make it available everywhere on the
> Windows system, you either have to mess with the PATH variable or just
> copy pscp.exe into the C:\Windows directory.
>
> Sorry, I don't know which solution is "right" in the Windows paradigm.
> I've been Linux-only for too long.

To make pscp.exe available system-wide on a Windows 2000 or newer
system, copy the pscp.exe file under C:\WIndows\System32.  That will
make pscp available from the command line for all users with minimal
effort.  Some 2000 systems use "WINNT" in place of "Windows" in that
path.

There is a Windows installer exe available from the putty download
site.  I'm not sure whether or not that makes pscp available
system-wide.  I know it does install all files under "C:\Program
Files\Putty".  Programs under that path, however, are generally not
available system-wide.

Oh, and by system-wide, I mean in the default PATH environment
variable.  You can modify each user's PATH environment variable or you
can modify the system-wide PATH to include anything you'd like (up to
a 256 character limit, I believe).  Therefore, either method Josh
presented will work.  Since it could be considered a system utility, I
prefer to put it under the System32 folder.

Another option would be to install cygwin.  This gives you a full BASH
shell and access to many nice GNU command-line utilities such as ssh,
scp, rsync and many more.  You can also install Xwindows to bring up
remote or local X applications.  If you want just ssh/rsync and don't
want all the other baggage that comes with cygwin, check out cwrsync.
It is a minimal cygwin install that includes just ssh and rsync to
support file transfers.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night