[Cialug] Notifications: SPAM Blocked

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Aug 30 10:33:03 CDT 2007

I just love having bounced e-mails I didn't send.  Spammers are using my
domain to send spam, and when it bounces, it comes back to me.  Yippee.  I
get to sift through 1000+ messages when they decide to use my domain to send
another bunch of spam, and then 20+ a day for a few weeks thereafter.  And
that's after I've rejected mail to some addresses in my domain.

I'm just glad we (the LUG) have finally masked e-mail addresses in the
archives.  Still, I get on average 50 spam e-mails a day sent to the address
I only use for the LUG.  Silly spam-bots were farming our addresses.

Maybe we should have an e-mail-fest.  I'm sure there are things I'm doing
that aren't correct that others could shed light on, and there's good things
I'm doing that others didn't think of.  If we could get together and share
our ideas, I think it would be very productive.

On 8/30/07, carl-olsen at mchsi.com <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> wrote:

> Yes, I get anywhere from 50 to 100 of these each day.
>
> Carl

> From: "Chris K." <lister at kulish.com>
> >
> > Is any else receiving loads of "our bulk email filter has blocked your
> > message" returns due to a spoofed email address?
> >
> > Ive started black listing the domains in question.  Both in and
> outbound.
> >
> > If so, what measures are you taking?  I'm about fed up with these paper
> > cert'd admins configuring this crap and throwing it out on the Internet.
>
> > The worst culprits are the jokers buying Barracudas.  Maybe Barracuda
> > Training is to blame...
> >
> > C K

Tim