[Cialug] Notifications: SPAM Blocked

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Aug 30 11:37:27 CDT 2007

One thing that a lot of folks do to reduce this is to block incoming
emails from your domain.  So long as your mail server is set to accept
local delivery, there is (almost) no good reason for emails to come from
the outside world with your internal address.

This doesn't necessarily work for the bounces, but it does cut down on
the other noise.

So far as "email fest" goes, the next meeting is filling up, but if we
don't get many folks at the college night, I think email would be a good
alternate topic.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Tim Wilson" <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> 08/30/07 10:33 AM >>>
I just love having bounced e-mails I didn't send.  Spammers are using
my
domain to send spam, and when it bounces, it comes back to me.  Yippee.
get to sift through 1000+ messages when they decide to use my domain to
send
another bunch of spam, and then 20+ a day for a few weeks thereafter.
And
that's after I've rejected mail to some addresses in my domain.

I'm just glad we (the LUG) have finally masked e-mail addresses in the
archives.  Still, I get on average 50 spam e-mails a day sent to the
address
I only use for the LUG.  Silly spam-bots were farming our addresses.

Maybe we should have an e-mail-fest.  I'm sure there are things I'm
doing
that aren't correct that others could shed light on, and there's good
things
I'm doing that others didn't think of.  If we could get together and
share
our ideas, I think it would be very productive.

On 8/30/07, carl-olsen at mchsi.com <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> wrote:

> Yes, I get anywhere from 50 to 100 of these each day.
>
> Carl

> From: "Chris K." <lister at kulish.com>
> >
> > Is any else receiving loads of "our bulk email filter has blocked
your
> > message" returns due to a spoofed email address?
> >
> > Ive started black listing the domains in question.  Both in and
> outbound.
> >
> > If so, what measures are you taking?  I'm about fed up with these
paper
> > cert'd admins configuring this crap and throwing it out on the
Internet.

> > The worst culprits are the jokers buying Barracudas.  Maybe
Barracuda
> > Training is to blame...
> >
> > C K

Tim