[Cialug] Fine Print - Broadband suggestions?

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Wed Aug 29 12:07:22 CDT 2007

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> They don't just raise rates while reducing quality with their data
> service. I get basic cable with them and over the course of about 3
> years the bill has increased 50% and the image quality is noticeably
> worse. Though it is analog cable, it appears they send the signal
> through a low-bandwidth digital conversion at some point because
> whenever the image changes quickly there are ugly blocky compression
> artifacts. It didn't used to be that way. Maybe i can convince my
> roommates that we don't need cable at all. Why bother watching TV when
> there is a whole internet to play with?

It took me a while to find out why I get the opposite of ghosting, I see
part of the picture a fraction of a second before it really appears. One
of the people that works with me said it's because the over the air
signal is leaking into their cable network and gets to the TV faster
than the signal they are mangling in their head end and sending over the
cable network. Good stuff!

dave