[Cialug] RAM upgrade

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Thu Aug 16 14:18:29 CDT 2007

Easiest option is to take the 256MB stick and your manual to DIT and say
"give me 2Gb of this".

If you want to save a bit more money, you can find it online by
matching specs, but I've found that you wouldn't save much and you'd run
the risk of guessing wrong and not being able to return it.

I'm sure that others on this list will have more technical answers with
URLs and such.  Just weigh those against the convenience of buying from
a local (inexpensive) supplier.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Kendall Bailey" <krbailey at gmail.com> 08/16/07 2:11 PM >>>
Simple hardware question... I run Debian on an inexpensive white box
machine I purchased via eBay some time ago.  It has 256MB, and I'd
like to upgrade to 2GB.  I have the motherboard user's guide, but I'm
a little clueless.  Any advice is appreciated (brand, where to buy,
specs, install gotchas).

The motherboard (KM400-M2 from ECS Elitegroup?) guide says "supports
four banks of DDR Synchronous DRAMs up to 2 GB for unbuffered module",
and later says "supports DDR333/266/200 (PC2700,PC2100, and PC1600 DDR
SDRAM)".
Finally I see
- Accomodates two unbuffered 2.5V 184-pin slots
- A total maximum capacity 2 GB

The cpu is an Athlon XP 3000+, if that matters.

Thanks!