[Cialug] Xen Server Looking for a good home.

Theron Conrey theron.conrey at dice.com
Tue Aug 14 09:22:01 CDT 2007

Having just returned from linuxworld, my spare time burner has been firing on all cylinders.  I happen to have lying around a dual 3.6G Pentium Xeon box with 4GB of RAM and plenty of hardware RAID1 Storage wrapped up in a shiny 1U Server with 4 gig NICs.  I did a minimal Debian install last night and installed the latest 3.1 Xen, it's a screamer.

My intent is to offer up Debian VMs along the lines of what the guys over at xen-hosting.org are doing, however, I'm not sure what (if anything) I should charge, and I'd rather trade rackspace/bandwidth for VM(s).

Looking at what's available with the hardware I'm guessing that I'll have room for roughly 7 VMs (15GB Storage, 512M ram each) or more if I reduce the VMs Memory/Storage.

What's rackspace / bandwidth go for these days?
Does it usually cost a ton extra for an additional dozen IPs?
Anyone got some rackspace / ideas?

-Theron