[Cialug] Satellite ISPs

Claus cniesen at gmx.net
Mon Apr 9 14:19:58 CDT 2007

On 4/6/2007 1:33 PM, david l goodrich wrote:
> Anyway.  The latency was terrible, it was barely enough to run
> the factory at an acceptable pace.  We were within tolerances,
> but definitely at the slow end of the scale.  The workers
> complained that network lookups for the barcodes (centrally
> stored at corporate HQ) was 2-3 times slower than usual.

I just wanted to second that about the latency.  Although I don't have
satellite Internet I could compare the latency.  I streamed live audio
from a radio station over the Internet and simultaneously from the
satellite.  Even though the Internet stream came from Europe it was a
couple seconds faster than the broadcast via satellite.  The distance
between earth and the satellite is just to enormous to be competitive.

   Claus