[Cialug] Satellite ISPs

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:27:22 CDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:
> I just wanted to second that about the latency.  Although I don't have
> satellite Internet I could compare the latency.  I streamed live audio
> from a radio station over the Internet and simultaneously from the
> satellite.  Even though the Internet stream came from Europe it was a
> couple seconds faster than the broadcast via satellite.  The distance
> between earth and the satellite is just to enormous to be competitive.

The HughesNet satellite internet here I've been complaining about is
incapable of streaming internet radio because it doesn't work
consistently enough.  Too much packet loss, resulting in sputtering
output.  It feels like a roughly 1996 dialup user experience in that
regard.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer