[Cialug] Cleaning out a network share

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 12:20:02 CDT 2006

On 10/26/06, Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com
<Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> I guess I'm shooting for more along the lines of 'visualization' than
> outright deletion.

Perhaps a hybrid of human review and deletion would work?

1) Identify the most recently updated items (3 to 9 months) and mark
them for human review.
2) Make an easily-accessible catalog of the remaining items.  This can
be done many ways, but the best would be a list in the acutal folder
where the items reside.
3) Back up everything.
4) Remove the items that were older than the human-reviewed ones.  For
the first 6 to 9 months, remove these to a readily-accessible storage
device for quick retrieval.  After that, move them to tape and/or
off-site.

A little mix of both worlds.

--
Tired programmer