[Cialug] CentOS

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Nov 21 17:27:14 CST 2006

It depends on what you're trying to do.  The "enterprise" bit of RHEL
indicatew that you are expected to emphasize stability over flexibility.
 Hence the difficulty of using RHEL for nonstandard purposes.

If you want a basic server that is supported for years, with a minimum
of hacking, CentOS is a good choice if you don't want to pay for SLES or
RHEL.  (Though, I personally think they're worth it.)

If you want flexibility and extensibility, and are willing to trade
stability for it, OpenSUSE and Fedora are better choices.

--
Josh More
morej at alliancetechnologies.net