[Cialug] CentOS

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Tue Nov 21 17:27:13 CST 2006

I went over to RHEL when Redhat dropped  9.0 started Fedora. I've never
ran or installed any of the Fedora's at all. I'm basically RHEL 3&4 and
Centos 3&4.

I agree that RH 6.2 sucked. So did 7.0, they got it nailed down pretty
good on 7.2 and 9.0 and ran I those for a quite awhile. I've still got
some 9.0 boxes, but they are doing in house stuff.

My needs are fairly simple, I do email and LAMP development and then
host my own stuff.  I've never had trouble trying to do stuff, and I've
found the redhat documentation to be very good. RH Support has always
been kick ass, on the phone or by email. If I send an email, I've always
gotten a response right away, and anyone I've talked to on the phone was
extremely knowledgeable.

I'm not against Debian, but I went to a bunch of RedHat training and
really didn't wanna move to debian from redhat 9. Not that I couldn't
have, I just didn't think it was the best use of my time. (kinda sounds
like the Microsoft argument, doesn't it?)

I'm really not interested in running Fedora on my production servers. A
6 month life cycle is just not long enough. Basically, I wanna set stuff
up and just monitor and patch. There's just too much crap running on
those servers to re-install an OS every 6-9 months. Topping that off, My
development servers match my production ones, so I'd have to update
both. Its just too much...

However, if RedHat died tommorrow, I'd look at debian, Ubunto and
Mandriva. I dunno which one I'd pick.

:) Dave