[Cialug] Can we do anything? Spammer is using our Web addresses

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Mon May 22 20:29:07 CDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Rob Miller <robarooney at gmail.com> wrote:

> My wife manages several Web sites for small businesses in Coralville,
> where we used to live.  We've set up the sites' Web mail to return all
> e-mail that is not specifically addressed to one of the sites' e-mail
> addresses.  Over the past couple of months, we've gotten thousands of spam
> messages that have been sent out using one of our Web addresses as the
> sender address and then blocked by the targeted e-mail system.   Is there
> anything we can do?  We're concerned that the reputation of these sites,
> which have been on the WWW since 1998, will be ruined.  Thanks.  Rob Miller

I agree completely.  I've received 62 SPAMs since Midnight, May 19th,
addressed to the address I only use for the LUG list.  In less than 4 days,
that seems like a lot, and that's using Dave W's blocks.  Extrapolating that
out, that's over 450 e-mails a *month* to this one address.  Maybe we should
password protect the archives so only those who belong to the list can see
them.  That would also prevent the address farming we had a year ago.
--
Tim